Monday, June 4, 2012

Juliska Placemat Knock Off


I saw this ad in a magazine a couple of months ago.  It was either in Traditional Home or Southern Living.  I can't remember which.  The placemats, along with the beautiful place setting, caught my eye.  I have been searching local stores looking for cane to refinish a chair.  I guess that's why I noticed it.


Our neighbor across the street gave us a small amount of cane and offered to teach Hunter how to re cane the chair.  The above picture is my attempt at making a cane placemat inspired by Julisha.  You can purchase cane in different widths.  The one used here is 12 inches wide.  I went to Walmart and picked up a pack of Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape in a cream color.  First, cut your cane to the desired size.  I used another placemat as a guide.  Then you hot glue the bias tape around the edge of your cane. 


The problem I had was with the corners. After I already finished a couple of sides, my husband, the trim carpenter, said, "You should 45 the corners!"  Now, why didn't I think of that?


Of course, that worked the best!  The above picture shows where I just squared the corner, which wasn't bad.  I don't know if I'll make more because a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a set at Goodwill that is very similar.


I used them in this tablescape that you can see more of here.  This placemat is not exactly the same but very similar.


This is the darker cane placemat that Juliska offers.  They are $28 EACH!  Now you can make them for a LOT less!  If you want a darker placemat, you could stain the cane and purchase a brown bias tape.


Thanks for stopping by!  I'd love for you to follow me!  If so, please leave me a comment and I'll follow you back!

Pin It

Sharing with:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tuesdays Treasures @ Myuncommon Slice of Suburbia  
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe with an E 
Your Cozy Home Party @ Cozy Home Scenes      
Cowgirl Up Party @ Cedar Hill Ranch

7 comments:

  1. Very clever and you saved a ton of money too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these placemats. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love playing around with placemats and chargers! I love what ya did!!!
    Visiting from the newbie party:)
    dginnovations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your DIY mats came out great and staining them would be nice too. But I must admit I LOVE the ones you bought, too. Probably because of how you did the placesetting. I love anything nautical, beach etc.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so clever! I saw that ad but it didn't even register1

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very clever! I'm a fan of Juliska, but hadn't seen these placemats. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy- This is a great idea, and I could see this as being a project to reuse older pieces of caning where part of it is still good. You did a great job of recreating the orginal ones. Thanks for joining us this week at Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~