Monday, June 10, 2013

Destrehan Plantation House Tour

 

Source

I’m sharing another home tour from the River Road trip that my husband and I took a month or so ago.  Today, we will be visiting Destrehan House.  This plantation is really the main reason that we took our River Road tour.   

In the last couple of years, I have gotten really interested in genealogy.  While researching my husband’s family, I discovered that this gggggg great grandfather was the original owner of the indigo plantation.  Robert Antoine Robin de Logny had the home built in 1787.  Robert and his wife had three children Pierre, Jeanne, and Marie Celeste.  My husband’s ggggg great grandmother was Jeanne.

Robert passed away in 1792 .  As was the custom back then, the property went up for auction.  It was purchased by Jean Noel Destrehan, the husband of Marie Celeste.  Destrehan was involved in politics and was well known in the area.  Thus, the plantation went from being called the de Logny plantation to the Destrehan Plantation.

 In more recent years, Destrehan Plantation has been known for it’s role in the movie, Interview with the Vampire.  Louie, played by Brad Pitt, was the plantation owner and he burned it down early on in the movie.

 

 

And that’s not all.  Brad Pitt has already filmed another movie here called Twelve Years A Slave.  It is an upcoming historical drama that will be released later this year.  Ok, enough about history and fame!  On the tour!

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

To me, this is very unusual!  A granite bath tub and it’s original to the house!  Most of them from time period were metal!

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

destrehan plantation

 

I hope you enjoyed the tour!  Be sure and stop by on Wednesday for Part 2!

Sharing with:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Make it Pretty @ The Dedicated House

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life

Open House @ No Minimalist Here

Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

The Scoop Link Party @ The Farmhouse Porch
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not JUST A Housewife

Project Inspired @ Artsy Chicks Rule

Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Fabulously Creative Party @ Jennifer Rizzo

Tweak it Tuesday @ Cozy Little House

Tips, Tutorials, & Tidbits @ StoneGable

Spring Party @ DIY by Design

Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style

Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours
Share Your Creativity @ It's Overflowing

6 comments:

  1. Lovely site, thanks for stopping by mine! Your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post the outside of this plantation is so lovely. I am sure it was great touring around and hearing some history.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical homes also. Thanks for the tour and the history lesson!
    Thanks, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks for the post. I stopped by to check this out because this movie has been my favorite since it came out. I just loved it as a kid and I especially loved the costumes and scenery. Thanks for the tour, this was very interesting!

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely home tour. I love history and old homes! Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inspire{d} :)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great house! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~